Thursday, March 18, 2010

As Organic as I can be

Hello there Blogland, and welcome to my quest for organic lifeforms. Let me tell you a little bit about myself, my life, and why I've chosen to start this blog, as well as why I think it could possibly help you!

I'm Amanda, I'm 23 and currently I'm on 2 completely different career paths, one as a fashion designer, the other as a cook/server in an amazing cafe. This blog is going to focus more on the culinary world, and my journey through it. My training? I'm currently enrolled in (and have been for about 4 years) The Culinary Institute of being addicted to the food network - and to be honest, I think I'll graduate with honours. Tuiton isn't much, really only as much as your cable bill every month, even just your internet since you can now stream most of their shows off of their website. I for one seem to be on the fortunate side of a cable fuss up where they have cut it off my bill - but not in my building, so now I'm getting free cable - Amazing!

I've been working in this lovely little cafe since the end of September '09, in this cafe I do the cooking for both here, as well as another cafe owned by the same people on the other side of town. We've been on an amazing quest of learning the perks of having a commercial kitchen, and how great it feels to be able to say goodbye to the unsatisfactory processed world of ordering food in, and hello to healthy food we can be proud to put our names behind. We're constantly in the position of David against the corporate Goliath in an ongoing battle against fair prices, and healthy delicious food.

The first thing you'll hear from so many people about why they don't choose organic is the cost - everyone always complains about how much more expensive organic food is compared to your standard grocery store brand that is jam packed with god knows what! Sadly we're in the same boat as most people, as a small business, it's not easy to be 100% organic - but we can atleast be 100% as organic as we can be!

But what does that mean? What that means is watching what you buy, reading ingredients, and questioning those random words that you really don't know how to even pronounce on the ingredients list. We've found amazing things in the most unsuspecting places! Did you know that Bulk Barn carries a vegetable soup stock that is both MSG and Salt free? Neither did we, but now it's the only stock that we use in our soups!

The other thing I wanted to mention, if you can't eat organic, atleast try to eat local when you can! I had a discussion once with a customer about the moral responsibility of buying organic vs buying local - ask yourself which means more to you - The organic apple that had to drive 1000km to get into your stomach - or your neighbors apples that may need a wash to clear some pesticides off of them - which has a bigger impact?

There's also one major health factor to being as organic as you can be, the weight loss. I was never a big girl, in fact I'm quite tiny, reaching only 5 feet on a good day. Just by eating as organic, and as healthy as I can, I've managed to lose close to 20 lbs since I started here at the cafe, and I am now at a weight that is absolutely ideal for my height!

So keep an eye on me, I'm going to be posting as often as possible, I'd like to post recipes, strange food controversies, and talk to you about eating locally, and organically. I'd love to be able to help you change your lifestyle and become as organic as you can be in our quest for Organic Lifeforms!

No comments:

Post a Comment