Thursday, March 18, 2010

Goodbye Gluten =(

It was a cold sad day in November when I realized that I was gluten intolerant - a problem in fact that I've seen becoming more common every day. Mind you after being sick to my stomach almost every day for just over a month, part of me was more than overjoyed to learn that it was gluten intolerance, as opposed to other things that would be a much bigger inconvenience in the life I currently lead. It's been an uphill battle, and a very odd one at that where some things bug me, other things don't - in fact - I can eat a slice of our lemon poppyseed loaf here at the cafe, but one bit of the chocolate banana bread makes me violently ill, yet both are made with the same flour.

I've been so luck to find that London's only Gluten Free bakery is just down the road from my apartment, and I paid them my first visit last week and was just completely overwhelmed at the thought that I could still eat cheese bread, I could still have pasta, I could even have deserts like buttertarts and pies! They even sell gluten free all purpose flour! So if I wanted to, I could make chocolate banana bread that doesn't make me sick!

Slowly I'm learning to not be so impulsive with my bread cravings, I'm learning that you find gluten in weird places (like soy sauce - it's the second ingredient... before soy even!) But it's been one of the healthier disfunctions that we all run the risk of developing at some point or another. And day by day, my stomach hurts less, I have more energy, and I learn to live a gluten free life!

No comments:

Post a Comment